Saturday, July 5, 2014

Why I Love America & Her Children

I have been blessed in my life. My baby sister reminded me of this today. Even though she is about 3 yrs younger, there are times I still need to listen to her. Today was one of those days. Amanda and I have a story that mirrors so many American children, and because of our connection with others through experience, we both decided to pursue career fields to help those in need. I chose education; she chose the medical field. We have enjoyed success because of the help of others, and now we devote our time and energies in sharing what we have learned and what we know to improve the human condition for those we meet.
Amanda and I were raised in a rural community in the South. Our father died tragically when I was almost 5 and she was about 18 months old. Amanda has no memories of our father; I have only vague memories. We were stricken with poverty. We were sometimes ashamed of it, but we learned to deal with the issues of life we experienced. If there is one thing I do know poverty DID for both of us, I know it put a fire in our souls to BEAT it and its effects on our lives. We were both very determined to rise above its clutches and show others there is a better way to live in our great nation.
Our mother always provided for us, and she worked every single day of her life to do so. She was a manual laborer, and she provided for our little family the best she could. She also taught her girls how to work. I may have a PhD, and my sister may have a CNP, and soon have a PhD, BUT we know and respect the value of manual labor. We still use our hands often in tasks that some may have thought we would have abandoned. As a matter of a fact, there are days I help my husband in the hay field, drive the tractor, and get a little hot and dusty. I sometimes grow weary of the work routine at my office desk, pouring over research and books as I plan for training to help educators. When I do, I look for a diversion.
Here's the thing I absolutely LOVE about America! I CAN DO BOTH! I have the freedom to work with my mind and/or my hands. I never want to take this freedom for granted. I also want to help others know they CAN DO BOTH! I want to see a light of passion in the eyes of students. It's the dream inside of a student that I want to see released. I am so thankful we live in a land where dreams really can become a reality.
Every time I visit a school campus, I look into the eyes of students, wondering where they will be in 1 yr, 5 yrs, 10 yrs, or even 20 yrs. Every day that I write, I do so with the intention of helping students realize their dreams. We live in a great country. We have numerous opportunities that come our way while we live. In spite of all the difficulties we may encounter, we still have unlimited resources if we find ways to access them. What a great land in which to live!
As we celebrate our liberty and freedom, I want to remind all of us there is still much work to be done. There are souls to liberate from the clutches of poverty. There are ways we can improve our great nation. I never intend to stop doing what I can to keep America the great nation she is for all her children. Who's with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment