Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Bucket Dippin' or Bucket Fillin'

I'm working on a Classroom Management PLA for a group of teachers in MS. I have started pulling together materials for this workshop. I remembered a book that I got during the 2002 Teacher of the Year banquet in Mobile AL. I had the privilege of representing Lott Middle School that year. Dr. Ann White was the speaker, and the author of the book. I remembered some things from her presentation that I wanted to use in my classroom management PLA. So, while I was going back through book, I ran across one of her chapters entitled "Fill the Bucket of Others." 

Dr. White poses this question:

Are you a BUCKET FILLER, or a BUCKET DIPPER?

I remember my Grandma Bennett's place, and there used to be a water bucket on her front porch. In it was a water dipper. Do you know what a bucket dipper is good for? ALWAYS taking water out of the bucket. 




BUT does anyone ever think about the BUCKET FILLER?

Here's some examples of Bucket Dippers?

1. Taking away people's joy by the words we use.
2. Chipping away people's self esteem by the things we say to them.
3. Always criticizing others on the mistakes they make.

Those things make us BUCKET DIPPERS!

But to be a Bucket Filler...

1. We have to uplift others by saying things that encourage them.
2. Show kindness to others with all we say and do.
3. Always building up and not diminishing others.

Sadly, I admit I have not always been a bucket filler. On more than one occasion I have found myself dipping out of somebody's bucket. While I cannot replace the water I dipped, I can do whatever it takes to stop the dipping and start filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment