Friday, May 2, 2014

Individualized Education Plans for ALL



For years “Individualized Educational Plan” (IEP) has been a term that was used almost exclusively for Special Education students.  However, in light of the difficulties educators continue to face as they attempt to bring the masses to a point of adequate mastery, it makes sense to extend the use of an IEP to all students. Hattie’s research in Visible Learning For Teachers (2012) makes a case for this, especially in his writing on “Self Goals.”  

I can vividly remember when I was asked, as a science teacher of middle school students, if I would work collaboratively with an inclusion special education teacher.  I know I may be different, and I am certainly weird at times, but my initial response was “OF COURSE!”  I mean, are you kidding me!  Two adults in the room with over 30 middle school students instead of one.  Who in his/her right mind would say, “No!” to that offer! 

Shannan Hembree was my inclusion teacher, and she taught me so much!  I realized quickly that not only did her strategies work for the special needs inclusion students, they also worked for my regular education students.  I really changed a lot of what I thought about education and teaching after working collaboratively with her.  I realized perhaps for the first time that not all students processed information the same, and they certainly did not all think like I thought.

Today, I firmly believe ALL students need individualized education plans.  I actually started a primitive form of this when I taught  middle school through the use of student academic contracts.  I realized not every student is genetically cut from the same pattern, and as a result, I shouldn’t expect every student to respond to learning the same way.  My student contracts worked well for my students and me.  This was one instructional practice that I know was effective.  

Another great friend of mine, Dr. Branton Shearer, promotes using Multiple Intelligence (MI) as a method for identifying the best methods to help students reach their fullest potential.  I have used his student inventory, MIDAS, with some of my clients in the past, and I continue to promote his inventory as a critical piece of a full instructional audit.  When students identify how they perceive they learn best, it offers the educator a window into the cognitive souls of the students.  This information is priceless to the educator who wants to be effective.

At the end of the day, or year… It’s really not about how well we “used data” or “used instructional practices,” or even how well we developed “professional learning communities.”  Everything hinges on how well we use all the tools we have in our professional toolboxes to reach ALL of our students and help them master their standards and become productive, happy citizens.  So, let’s not negate or neglect the need for “INDIVIDUALIZED” attention for all students!  Go ahead… Find a great template for an academic student plan for this coming school year.  Spend some time planning ahead in your lessons to encourage individuality and discover how your students best learn.  I challenge you! It will make the “BIGGEST” difference!

Sarah B. Odom, PhD

Vann-Ray (www.vannray.com)

1 comment:

  1. Every point of this blog site charmed and inspired me. iep special education If you want to ensure your child future for better educational life. We are provide special education that gives you knowledge and power to make right decision in the best interest of your child life from step by step guidelines within of our system.

    ReplyDelete